Yes, we would love you to become an NGL Friend!
For the first time since its birth in September 2017, NGL is opening its doors and inviting those that want to become involved to join us as NGL Friends in this next phase of growth.
During our initial year and a half we have worked to build our systems and structures and to nurture the relationships that bring them to life. NGL has been closed to the public throughout this time and only accessible, via a hefty application form, to those that attended its retreats. This has been a period of looking inwards, testing the ropes of our co-creation and learning about what it takes to sustain an entirely decentralised and mostly-online community built in the gift economy. The outcome of this is the creation of NGL Friends.
So what is an NGL friend?
An NGL friend is someone who is inspired by our vision and moved to actively join us in manifesting it and enjoying its fruits. You are invited to access much of what goes on in NGL with no commitment and no expectation. Like being an uncle or other extended family member, rather than a parent, being an NGL Friend is all about being a part of the action and nurturing NGL, yet without the responsibility of designing and maintaining it. This means you are invited to:
- attend coaching calls offered by NGL providers, of which there are several each month;
- attend informational and Design and Maintenance (D&M) Team calls to experience first hand how we operate internally;
- get involved with projects, based on invitation from a D&M Team;
- contribute to tasks in collaboration with a D&M Team member;
- be in community amongst people who are seeking or attracted to something that is boldly aiming to undo the harms of patriarchy and integrate the benefits it gave us.
As a member of the community, you become a vital element of NGL meeting its purpose to nurture a group of practitioners and leaders as active co-learners committed to nonviolent global liberation.
And, like with any young and rapidly growing being, the regularity of the engagement you choose to have with NGL will determine the depth of the relationship that forms. Some of the ways we, at the moment, know are sure to nurture this relationship and support NGL’s thriving are:
- nourishing our spirits and pulling us forward into deeper exploration by gifting us with the energy of your presence, curiosity, and interest;
- regularly attending calls so that we get to know one another and develop a deeper sense of co-holding;
- gifting us money to contribute to our material sustainability;
- taking on tasks, in collaboration with a D&M Team member;
- over time, as relationship builds, bringing your fresh beginner’s mind to us by joining a D&M Team.
We invite you to take a front-row seat to see a truly collaborative group of people grapple with what it would mean to completely undo the patriarchal paradigm. This offers you the opportunity to witness first-hand how the community functions and very tangibly gets things done.
This is, we believe, a unique invitation to interact with a project of which there are very few models. We are seeding the world, gifting it, to anyone who wants to come. We offer you the opportunity to contribute and be involved with something that has become deeply meaningful to each person involved in its creation so far.
Our requests to NGL Friends
As an NGL Friend, we request that you co-hold responsibility for our commitment to the gift economy, which permeates the functioning and spirit of the whole community. Operating in gift economy means that what we give is neither given for free nor in exchange for anything. It is given freely in complete willingness and trust that when we share what it is that we need to thrive, within a group of people who share our vision, resources will organically flow to meet those needs. This is the fundamental trust that drives all those who choose to embrace the gift economy.
In the following sections we have more detailed requests about how we want you to join us in caring for all of the above.
So what’s the process of becoming an NGL Friend?
At the bottom of this page, when you touch “Become an NGL Friend”, you will be taken through a series of four sections. At the end of each one you will be asked to give a number between 0 and 10 relative to your level of appreciation/alignment/willingness for what you have read. The purpose of this is to provide us with feedback on how this content is received (this is a new process and your feedback will be precious in terms of assessing if we are matching our purpose), and provide you with a moment to connect with what we are asking of you and why, and to align your intention with what we believe nurtures all of us on this journey.
On the second to last page you will be asked to make a monthly contribution towards NGL’s sustainability. In cases where even a small amount of money per month would compromise your ability to attend to your own and your family’s ongoing basic needs, that amount might be zero. There is no expectation that you will give any amount. There is a fervent desire that you engage with the question of whether or not, and how much, to give, to the point of making a clear choice based on needs rather than exchange, obligation, assessment of “market value”, or anything else.
You will then be asked to create a login, after which you will be able to access the following resources available only to NGL Friends:
- view NGL’s calendar to attend calls as an observer;
- view information about how you can join a D&M Team in support of design or maintenance of NGL, if you wish, once sufficient relationships have been established;
- view our systems documents and learn more about how NGL works;
- get extended access to documents you may need for a task if necessary, as a ‘Contributor’, in collaboration with a D&M Team member.
Make sure you have at least 30 minutes to read and reflect on the following sections and Let’s Go!